Thursday, February 5, 2009

Peter stepped from the ship to the sea...

"Why did you doubt me?" - Matthew 14:31

Jesus called Peter to join him on the water.  Peter steps out on the water, takes a few steps, and begins to sink.  He freaked out.  Peter kept his eyes glued to Jesus and trusted him enough to step out on the water.  But then he had second thoughts and started to go down.  He yelled "Save me Lord!"
Jesus asked "why did you doubt me?"  Jesus had proved himself over and over again to Peter, but Peter still let his circumstances (wind and waves) to distract him.

Hmmm, this is just a story.  It has nothing to do with my life.  NOT!  What has Jesus done for me?  He has been faithful.  I should know by now that I can trust his heart.  
I can keep my eyes glued to his and take the scary step out onto the waves.  I can even take a few steps, but if I look around me at the wind and waves and lose his gaze, I'm going down.  

I love how Jesus immediately reached out a grabbed him.  Then he asks the question, "Why did you doubt me?"  Can you imagine what Peter said next?  i bet it went a little like "well, i, uh, I, errr, uhh, waves, mmmm, I, You, uh...."  I bet Jesus simply hugged him at this point.  I think Jesus is slightly humored by our stupidity sometimes.  (I'm sure it's frustrating, but a little funny too)

How I wish I had been there.  Of course I would have been one of the other guys hanging on the boat for dear life.

Summary - through the scary parts in life keep your gaze locked with his.  If you do falter simply call out to him and he will IMMEDIATELY reach out and help you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment